Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does current email protocol support mail receipt verification?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does current email protocol support mail receipt verification?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:43:07 -0500
On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:59:25PM -0500, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> On 12-01-06 10:48 PM, Brenda J. Butler wrote:

> >> This "marks it read" feature is for you to know which emails you have
> >> read.  It is not for the sender to know whether you have read their
> >> message.  That is a separate feature, implemented differently.
> >
> > More explicitly:
> >
> > The "emails I've read" information is kept locally on your machine,
> > about which emails that you've already received have been read
> > by you.  It is not part of the email exchange protocol at all.
>
> If my machine marks it as read and sends back a receipt saying so, the
> sender will think I have read it when in fact, I have not. There is no
> way to guarantee a person has read the mail. The only thing you can tell
> is that somewhere along the line a machine has marked it as read. The
> only way to guarantee that the mail has reached the recipient's machine
> is to search that machine for it. Email is *not* guaranteed.

You cannot guarantee that a registered letter has been *read* by the
intended recipient either.  It is guaranteed to have been *received* by
*someone who signed for it* at the destination though.  For a machine,
that isn't saying much.

>    Shawn

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!