Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone local do really fine soldering?

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:00:08AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Allan Fields wrote:
>>
>> > I agree with Robert.
>> >
>> > I might add: I think the point is that you should not _have to_ wip
>> > out a soldering iron, in this day and age.  Aside from the classical
>> > appeal of soldering and prototyping your own..
>> >
>> > You should be able to find someone in the community to do at least
>> > part of the hardware engineering for you, or any type of specific
>> > service.  There are lots of computer engineers (h/w geeks) waiting
>> > to do such, with-out wasting the time of those who frankly might
>> > want to remain doing software / system-level work rather than
>> > futzing with a soldering iron and magnifier.  Robert might be able
>> > to go the west-end and find someone in less than a day.
>> >
>> > This is the era of modular design:  Plug-able modules in a computer
>> > system management paradigm is the norm now.  If it's not the
>> > designers goal to tweak hardware; then they can simply hire-out.
>> > Everyone in Ottawa seems hell-bent on getting their hardware on.
>> > That's not the way to run a multi-sectoral high-tech empire.
>> >
>> > I should be able to find a dude to prototype an interface between
>> > two modules, in short-order, as there are plenty who have already
>> > toiled and learned the hard way themselves, now they are pre-forked
>> > for duty and quite able.
>> >
>> > Why make yet another embedded company out of some-one who might have
>> > made good time on existing modular board/designs.  They'll likely
>> > end-up spending more time with the h/w interfacing then, and loose
>> > track of the original point, as they end-up in tweaker heaven.
>>
>>   two observations.  first, exactly what allan said, and on that note,
>> it occurs to me that this is one of the *drawbacks* of community.
>> it's terrific that a number of people were happy to advise me on how
>> easy it is to learn how to do this myself.  all i need, apparently, is
>> a really good soldering iron, time, a bunch of practise boards and so
>> on.  which is fine, but at the moment, i've got a number of clients
>> interested in linux training, so taking time off to learn how to
>> solder is definitely not cost-effective for me.  hence, my looking
>> around for someone to do it for me.
>>
>>   and i'm not asking anyone to do it for free (sorry if i gave that
>> impression).  it's worth it for me to *pay* someone else to do it as i
>> have more than enough stuff that will generate billable hours for me
>> that i don't want to invest time with a soldering iron.  and perhaps,
>> that's one of the drawbacks of community -- sometimes, people are so
>> eager to teach you how to do something that the fact that i'm willing
>> to *pay* someone to do it goes unrecognized.
>>
>>   it may be that this mailing list is not the right place for
>> something like that, i don't know.  but i have on occasion posted,
>> looking for assistance, and offering to pay someone for it.  instead,
>> numerous people jump in, offering to *explain* to me how to do it.  it
> [...]
Really? Barking up the wrong tree? OP asked if 'anyone local do really
fine soldering' and you replied with your expertise and linked a
video. I'm sure once OP found the person who could do the work they
would have negotiated for it.

--
Paul Belanger | dCAP
Polybeacon | Consultant