Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone local do really fine soldering?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] anyone local do really fine soldering?
  • From: Jean Richard <jean [ at ] geemoo [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:21:25 -0500
   in addition, it may be that this it not a one-off job.  even as
shipped, the pandaboard is more than adequate for teaching embedded
linux.  but with those extra connectors, that opens up a *world* of
additional possible courses involving video.  i've negotiated a bulk
rate for buying pandaboards from the manufacturer, and i'm looking at
bundling a board with each student kit, so i could be buying *dozens*
of these things and might want each one extended as i described.
   i don't want to do it myself.  and if there's someone out there who
is good at this sort of thing (makes a living at it?), then we should
talk.  this is a business opportunity for someone who's looking for
one.

If you just want to get it done and there will be more in larger quantities in the future, you probably want to call one of Ottawa's PCB assembly shops and negotiate something. This would be trivial work for them, and the offer of larger quantities is always something they like.

Larger quantities or not, it'll be pay by the hour and the rates will probably be cheaper than if you were to do it by yourself, once you factor in time and supplies.

I imagine most of the people on this list would be interested in doing one board for you for the cost of a beer at the next meeting, but probably wouldn't be interested in doing larger quantities. I would offer myself for one board, but I'm leaving town shortly and won't be back until just before new year's.

Once you do get to doing larger quantities though, I recommend you find an assembly shop, since errors are more annoying when dealing with larger numbers, and a board shop will have no problem dealing with these connectors.

--
Jean