Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9

What is in a name?
Since I am forced to write poetry, here..
Let me splain.

Handbrake (computer application. open source.) => [
   "(v) to break video content, as if by hand splicing, by providing a
UI interface to basic
    command-line tools which manipulate streamable media (video and audio)."
   "(n) the tool used to brake video on a frame by frame basis, using
time-codes.  Optional transcoding and processing of streaming media or
video frames.",

    Website: http://handbrake.fr/
    Icon:  With the funny Pineapple and Coctail Glass icon.
    WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handbrake (yup, I am redundant)
]

Similar (but unrelated): to "break beat" music, which splices together
samples in a composition by "break"ing and/or looping samples at
specific time intervals.

What makes naming confusing for many open-source applications is there
likeness to other words for which the definitions do not match exact.
Break vs. Brake, etc.  This may be due to morphology in the
etymological derivation of the application wording.  I hazard a guess,
that is the way programmers think, it is functionally analogous to
....  It is the contraction of two like terms...  etc.

This is why the KDE project started putting in brackets the
description (Linear Video Editor) of the applications in the Menus
with translations for locality.

In my foibles and free-time, I discovered this for Mac.  I think I
made better mileage with ffmpeg on the command line under a nameless
Free Operating Systems, but that's just me.

The great thing is to see the look on their faces when the new
corporate tools is named "Droopal".  It's suppose to be a fun game for
people to figure out what the authors meant when they named it thusly,
and using reverse marketing naming (Tide versus Schaszta - Which one
do you think I'd buy as a detergent?).

And what is a droopal (for instance)?  Something web-like and droopy,
but what you want and need?

-AF

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM,  <linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:19:44 -0500
> From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
> Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] handbrake?
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:22, John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
>> Has anyone got any experience with handbrake dvd->mpeg package.
>
> I've had some success converting things down to be playable on an
> android tablet with handbrake (on Debian).  In summary: awful name,
> cumbersome UI, but great results.

message navigation