[OCLUG-Tech] Performance hits using 100baseT on gigabit Ethernet

Almost all of my home network services are being passed through a Gb switch. I'm currently using an older x86 box to serve up dhcp, ntp, and bind as core services for the network (and apache, mysql, ...). Before committing to this I installed a Gb Ethernet card in that box just to pimp out performance on the wires.

I'm looking to relieve that box of those duties in favor of a much lower power device. I'm hoping someone can confirm that I won't notice any service degradation beyond that listed below:

DHCP is likely to cost me a ms a day per client.
NTP is likely going to be about the same size hit (~1ms).
Bind will cost me less than a second per browsing session.

Serving web pages with apache will take a little bit longer ( a couple of seconds each time a client's cache is emptied).

I don't see how moving any of these services over to a 100Mb connected server is going to lead to a noticeable degradation of service on my home network.

Looking at those numbers, saving about $40 in electricity costs is going to lead to about 5 minutes of lost time each year.

Does this compile, or am I missing something?

Sent from a locked proprietary device. I'm working on my freedom and I'll be there one day.