Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Simple web-based collaboration, project management: emphasis: small scope, simple

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Simple web-based collaboration, project management: emphasis: small scope, simple
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:30:14 -0400
John C Nash wrote:
I've had some success with using a wiki (I like Dokuwiki as easy to set up. It needs no
separate database support.) However, this doesn't have all the features you want, but does
have the huge advantage of simplicity. I'm using it at the moment to keep track of Google
summer of code work.

JN
I'd concur that simplicity is incredibly important. An "almost" good enough tool that gets used is far better than the perfect tool with a learning curve that intimidates users into frustration. Problem with trying to perfectly define requirements up front is that you are already losing user time with the benefits they are looking for.

I've found over the years that "Ready, Fire, Aim" beats out "Ready, Aim, Fire" development every time - because users do not really know what they want up front - but they can quickly refine things that are wrong with stuff in use. You get better product targeting from hands-on users than you will ever get trying to figure out what they need before they touch a system.

Best part of open systems software is that you have the ability to tweak function to meet needs after it is in use.

--
Bill Strosberg