Re: [OCLUG-Tech] a sign of the apocalypse

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] a sign of the apocalypse
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 01:11:55 +0000
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 00:34, Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Not Linux?

I think what you are asking here is "Android is not Linux?"  And
technically it's not.  Linux is a kernel.  Android is a platform.

I cannot possibly dispute that Android is based on Linux -- it is.
Every Android device out there uses a Linux kernel (although it
doesn't have to, to still be Android).

Anyway, that's not where I was going, and not at all what I said.
What I am saying is that Microsoft is not writing apps for Linux.
"running on Android" cannot be taken as "running on Linux".

Android apps run on Dalvik not on Linux ABI.  Dalvik is a Linux app.
Bing is not a Linux app.

> - isn't it using the Gnu utilities?

Well, since you asked... no, Android is not using standard GNU
utilities.  With a very few exception, there is little in common
between a "Linux distribution" and the Android platform.

> Why do you say it is not Linux?

I didn't.

-Bart