Re: [OCLUG-Tech] bug when i installed to 11.04... won't let me use apt-get, synaptic, update manager etc now

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] bug when i installed to 11.04... won't let me use apt-get, synaptic, update manager etc now
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:13:19 -0400
On 11-06-20 07:44 PM, Michael Goguen wrote:
'Error: Opening the cache (E:Encountered a section with no Package: header,
E:Problem with MergeList

I am ruuning an older version and only use the GUI, so this may not be helpful.

When I do updating I use kpackagekit

When updating went "bad" on me, what I did was edit sources to pick a different mirror. then did an update which forced all the sources files to be reloaded.

The nature of my trouble turned out that my DSL modem was helpful when the file could not be downloaded because of a network glitch and I found several "files" in the form of "SnazyModem, this file could not be accessed press here to try again"

The side Stepping the "helpfullness" I now have my sources pointed at a Mirror that only offers FTP.

If you use the Gnome version I don't even know what is the equivalent of KpackageKit

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca              Just Beyond the Fringe