Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any ELGG wizards out there?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Paul B wrote:

> Forgive my prodding, but what are you building with this, Robert?

  i'm doing this for a colleague, who tells me that ELGG is an
in-house, social/business collaboration tool.  so i just wanted to see
how easy it was to set up.

> I'll admit to being totally ignorant of elgg and it's capabilities,
> but I've been mulling over what a family website might include, and
> this looks like an impressively complete package.  Beats smashing
> together smarty and ubb and Web calendar and ...
>
> Is this a complete and manageable package, or am I going to spend
> more time on a learning curve than I have in the form of personal
> hours?

  from scratch, i had it running in about an hour, and documented my
adventures here:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/ELGG_1.8b1_on_Ubuntu_10.10

and there are apparently some serious deployments based on ELGG, such
as at mitre corp:

http://www-search.mitre.org/search?client=mitre&site=mitre&proxystylesheet=mitre&oe=utf8&q=elgg&output=xml_no_dtd&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search

so some people clearly take it seriously.  it might be overkill for a
family web site but that's not what i'm evaluating it for.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca