Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any interest in a local kernel programmingspecialinterest group?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any interest in a local kernel programmingspecialinterest group?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 08:30:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 10 May 2011, allan [ dot ] fields [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com wrote:

> I think this is a good idea.
>
> I will suggest that you encourage the advanced kernel programmers to
> present on specific subsystems.
>
> You may find there is a hotbed of embedded programmers here in
> Ottawa with knowledge of applying Linux kernel to network and mobile
> applications where it really makes sense to get into the nuts and
> bolts of the kernel.  This might pair well with Linux Symposium
> coming up!
>
> I am not the one you want at this meeting and I will likely not make
> it to OLS this year, as I do not have anything to contribute.
> There is a lot of value in such events however.  Members of "secret
> societies" and Travolds may not always appear at such conferences,
> but you may find their "look-alike" or at least Waldo.
>
> I will say that my lurking suggests the Code Factory is a good idea
> and I encourage all you social geeks.
>
> Keep in mind.. Not all people drink beer and not everyone likes
> c0ffee. :). I advocate local groups stick to neutral professional
> meeting places and hold a charter as OCLUG does.  This ensures the
> on-topicness.

  just to make sure folks understand what i'm proposing (and i suspect
there will be a few more posts as i nail this down), i'm not looking
(at least not yet) at starting an official group with a charter and
mission statement or anything of the sort.

  rather, i'm looking at getting together, on a purely informal basis,
with other linux kernel hackers so that *i* will finally get a chance
to bug others with questions when i'm having trouble, and to discuss
specific topics that i want to clarify.

  actually, it wouldn't be *totally* informal.  my plan would be to
solicit suggestions a few days ahead of time on a topic of interest,
so that attendees would have time to read up and come at least
moderately prepared.  and it wouldn't even need to be scheduled on a
regular basis -- if someone suddenly wants to know more about a kernel
subsystem, with a couple days notice, we could just say we're meeting
at the code factory after work on a particular day, and anyone is
welcome to show up and the topic of discussion will be "X".

  the other part of the plan would be that people would show up with
laptops with the kernel source so that they could *test* stuff.  or
with examples they could share.  i'm not trying to start a monthly,
"at next month's meeting, person X will speak on topic Y."  nothing
that structured.

  i just got my membership at the code factory yesterday so i'm now
qualified to let others pop in for discussion.  and in some cases, i
might just announce that i'll be at TCF for, say, an afternoon and
anyone is welcome to pop by and chat.  if no one pops by, i always
have enough to keep me busy.

  i *could* start things off with an initial meeting where i show
people how to grab the kernel source, configure it, build it, and
reboot to a new kernel, then write their first loadable module.  once
people know that, it's way easier to start playing.  so perhaps that's
a good first presentation, after i get back next week from training.

  more later.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca