Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Better Than DropBox

Sylvain,
I came across this the other day:
http://sparkleshare.org/

It looks like most of what you're after, IF you have your own host.
It has hooks to github and gitorious, which are also free when what you're checking in is free to the world. If you're storing personal information and other personal files, you will need a hosting service or you will need to provide your own server.

In a nutshell, when it comes to a secure personal repository, I think you're going to have a very hard time doing something without a monthly fee. That is, unless you already have your own server, but even if you do, you're already paying monthly fees to your service provider. This free as in beer requirement you've put on your original post is going to be tough for this sort of application.

All of that aside, sparkleshare provides you with a free as in freedom alternative:
It's open source, and looks to be licensed under the LGPLv3.

I'm excited about this project. Drop box is so popular, and so proprietary, and so corporate cloud that I've stayed away from it. My hope is that sparkleshare will provide the choice that freedom lovers crave.

On a side note: this is still in beta. Current version is 0.2rc1, I believe. Mission-critical it ain't.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Paul