Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any personal experience out there with hybrid SSD drives?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any personal experience out there with hybrid SSD drives?
  • From: R RENAUD <rjrenaud [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 10:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Thu, 5/5/11, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca> wrote:
| I'm looking at picking up a seriously fast notebook
| but i'm intrigued that this system comes with dual hybrid SSD
| drives.  anyone out there using these kinds of drives?  can you
| testify to noticeably better performance?

In December I bought the Crucial RealSSD from shopRBC.com.
Yes, the machines are noticably faster.
I've since bought 1 for a different laptop and 1 for my Intel Core I5 desktop.

Also, the SSD takes less power so the computer fan is usually off or
running very slowly.  Very nice when just reading web pages.

My notes:
- Installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) desktop on ThinkPad T500.
  - testing SSD
    Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5 inch SATA 6GBs Solid State Drive - $128.
    Firmware rev 0002   S/N 103802FD810F  Rated at 5V 2.0 Amps

  - summary: Crucial RealSSD is 5 times faster on read and 20% faster
    	     on write than WD Scorpio Black 320GB.
I used "hdparm -t /dev/sda" on both drives for the read speed test.
Offhand, I don't recall what I used to test writes.

Here's some things I did to reduce SSD wear but don't know how much it matters.

    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/11/overview-of-ramfs-and-tmpfs-on-linux/
	Overview of RAMFS and TMPFS on Linux - Ramesh Natarajan Nov 6, 2008
    The notes in the "Tweaks" article below don't show how to set the
	ramdisk size.

    Added to /etc/fstab
	# use ramdisk for /tmp to reduce writes to SSD
	tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,size=200M,mode=1777 0 0

    cd /tmp; rm -rf *; reboot

    Rrjrlap3% df -h
    /dev/sda1             9.2G  1.3G  7.6G  14% /
    tmpfs                 200M   12K  200M   1% /tmp
    /dev/sda6              19G  5.9G   12G  34% /usr
    /dev/sda7              28G  6.4G   20G  25% /u1

  - Put Firefox cache in ram.
	      Open about:config in Firefox. Right click in an open
	      area and create a new string value called
	      browser.cache.disk.parent_directory. Set the value to /tmp.
    Files ended up in /tmp/Cache owned by roland.
    Back this up before hibernate?

roland