Re: [OCLUG-Tech] any personal experience out there with hybrid SSD drives?

On 11-05-05 12:15 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
   i'm looking at picking up a seriously fast notebook since i plan on
spending a lot of time a) compiling kernels, b) running JAVA, and c)
hosting numerous VMs at the same time.  so i was ogling one of these:

http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=NB-AS-G73SW-A1

   first, yes, it's an nvidia chipset but i'm tired of fighting that
battle.  if it works and supports the latest ubuntu, i'm good with
that.

   but i'm intrigued that this system comes with dual hybrid SSD
drives.  anyone out there using these kinds of drives?  can you
testify to noticeably better performance?

   in any event, is there anything about that system that would scare
me off?  other than the price?

rday

it doesn't appear from the specs that it has an Optimus graphic solution, that is, an intel integrated graphic chip, plus a discrete nVidia which switches seamlessly under windows, but has no driver for Linux. If it does have Optimus, you will be in for a world of hurt. i put a Seagate Momentus XT 500G harddrive in my N53JF, which has an integrated 4G SSD and have had no problems with it. Looks good to me, guess you can retire your barbells ;-)