Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Slow DSL

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:05:00AM -0400, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with my DSL.  Currently it's running below 20 KB/s
> and it's suppose to max out at 300 KB/s.  This started about a month ago
> sometime around when I updated my kernel.  Before that it averaged from
> 250 KB/s to 270 KB/s.  Since I haven't change my setup, I was wondering
> if the problem was on my machine or it's Bell's.
>
> Does anyone know of anything in the kernel that might cause this?

Have you isolated it by trying another machine with speedtest.com to be
certain it isn't your dsl?

I had an issue with my DSL that turned out to be a known problem at Bell
affecting multiple customers that had a 3-month schedule delay to fix.
It was fixed about a month or two after the UBB crap hit the fan.

I initially thought it was spurious DNS and ICMP traffic that was
gobbling my upload bandwidth, but turned out to be further into Bell's
network.  I was getting 40 KB/s when I should have been getting 800 KB/s.

At peak times and load, I was getting 23 second pings.

> Techie goodies:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux Ix 2.6.35-28-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 18:42:20 UTC 2011
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

>    Shawn

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!