Re: [OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG project: wicked cool openwrt router?

I might have mentioned it earlier, except for the premise that the
router be inexpensive.  It's totally worth the money, but this is one
of the more expensive routers.

Regarding the WNDR3700 vs the WNDR3700v2: I have v1.  Yes it has half
the ram, but it doesn't use much of that.  v2 has a different
placement on the antennas which is purported to have a negative effect
on performance.  I don't have the research I did on this, but it's out
there.

I installed wrt first thing.  The experience wasn't memorable, except
that I was floored at how totally seamless the process was.  Compile,
install.  I didn't even have to manually reboot the router.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Paul B. <red [ dot ] line [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> wrote:
> Robert, I went to the local department megastore and "cheaping out"
> gives you nothing close to what you've spec'd here.  Save $20 and you
> lose gigEthernet. Save $20 and you lose dual band.  You've spec'd one
> with USB 2.0, and with all the dev bells and whistles, and I don't see
> much that comes close. You've done your homework: Looking through the
> list of supported devices, the wndr3700 v2 is near the top in terms of
> processor speed, flash, and ram.
>
> Hey, I've got a dual band gigE router with USB already. Oops, it's on
> the "unsupportable" list. Oh well. I don't need to worry about bricking
> anything, since I've got an unbrickable backup.  That makes the missus
> happy.
>
> Regrets, but I can't add anything about the reliability of the product,
> but on price, it looks like this is a winner. You might be able to find
> one for $20 cheaper, but wait, is that a V1 with half the flash?
>
> I did read some reviews; complaints about dropping wired LAN
> connections, firmware upgrades that performed like downgrades, people
> "power cycling three times a day"; all of it could mean anything.  When
> you look on that OpenWrt forum, they tote is as the champion on price
> and out-of-the-box compatibility.
>
> You've tweaked my interest.
>
> On 17/04/2011 6:26 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>    as a followup to my posting yesterday about a LUG-wide project to
>> select a single decent wireless router and make an openwrt project out
>> of it, i ran across the netgear WNDR3700 (v2).  you can see the brief
>> specs here:
>>
>>    http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#netgear
>>
>> and a more detailed doc here:
>>
>>    http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
>>
>> as well as a detailed writeup on how to download, build and install
>> here:
>>
>>    http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howtobuild/build.wndr3700
>>
>> which suggests it should be a safe choice, and it would seem to have
>> all of the features i'd minimally want, including at least one USB
>> port, plus a serial port and JTAG in case someone wants to get
>> ambitious.  it's available at canada computers for $139:
>>
>> http://canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=netgear+wndr3700&x=0&y=0
>>
>> which is, admittedly, a bit pricey for a wireless router but it is
>> dual band and gigabit so there's that.
>>
>>    i updated my openwrt source tree and followed the instructions in
>> that third link and, other than a couple trivial updates to the
>> recipe, i got an image to build.  haven't tested it yet since i don't
>> have the router, but i know CC has 3 in stock in their rideau store so
>> i'm planning on popping down there today and getting one.
>>
>>    thoughts?  are there any fatal drawbacks to this choice of router?
>> any alternative suggestions?  the fact that it's listed as supported
>> and that someone wrote a fairly complete recipe for building the image
>> already suggests it would be hard to go wrong, but i'm open to
>> dissenting opinions.

> [...]

Cheers!
Rick

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?