[OCLUG-Tech] OCLUG project: wicked cool openwrt router?

  a while back, i suggested on the KWLUG list that, as a group, we
pick communal projects and work on them as a collective so that
everyone got the benefit.  and one of the projects i suggested was
selecting a state-of-the art, openwrt-compatible wireless router that
interested parties could purchase, then over time, we'd document in
excruciating detail how to build and install openwrt on such a beast.

  anyone who wanted to play along would, of course, have to purchase
the stock router, at which point anyone familiar with openwrt could
start the ball rolling, we'd document the steps in a wiki somewhere so
that even beginners could participate.

  first task would be to select an appropriate router that's not
stupidly expensive with some minimal features, such as:

  * obviously, openwrt-flashable
  * open source drivers for wireless chip
  * 4 wired ports (pretty much standard these days)
  * at least one USB port

you get the idea.  there was some discussion about the ubiquity
routerstation pro:

  http://www.ubnt.com/rspro

which comes with openwrt already installed, but of course, we'd want
to document how to download the software and build our own installable
image.

  any interest in doing something like this?  and any alternative
recommendations for other routers that would be ideal for this?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca