Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Ubuntu Kosmic Kola vs. VMware Server 2

On Friday 15 April 2011 17:31:15 allan [ dot ] fields [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com wrote:
> So, the other day: I was investigating Windows XP running from a raw disk
> partition under VMware on a Ubuntu Kosmic Linux Desktop.
>
> This is the dual desktop scenario on the same PC, where previously they are
> dual-booted Lin/Win OS partiton off the same physical disk.

> 3. No graphics: Once my test VM is powered on, the darn console still
> doesn't connect as expected.  Just a few minor releases back the VMware
> Remote Console was stable and worked well (enough) to make a keep.
>

> So what is the issue with Vmware Server 2.0.2?  It drops (IMHO required)
> support for remote console and provides a web interface with plug-in
> instead.

I've been keeping an old copy of firefox around just for vmware.
I created a new profile so the version I run vmware with doesn't interfere
with my other bookmarks.

firefox --no-remote -P "vmware"

there is good info on getting vmware running here

http://radu.cotescu.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-ubuntu-fedora-opensuse/

It also has a script to fix things for newer versions of firefox

Since Vmware Server product is now EOL I'm no longer creating new images for
vmware but am using virtualbox

I'd like to see more on using xen or kvm

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600