Re: [OCLUG-Tech] the big move -- made it here in one piece

On 11-04-15 09:07 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Stephen Gregory wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 07:43:42AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>   slowly getting unpacked in my market area condo so it's time to
>>> figure out where the important stuff is in the area.  as in,
>>> where's a good place to buy a honking big external drive to which
>>> i can start ripping all of my CDs?
>>
>> Pccyber and Canada Computers. One or both should have a shop within
>> walking distance. I also like RB Computing, but they are out in
>> Bells Corners in the west end.
>
>   ok.  and in terms of a decent, 2TB external drive for all my tunes,
> recommendations?  don't need anything stupidly expensive, just
> reliable.  thanks.

the new WD green series are getting a bad rep for both performance and
reliability, I personally would stay away from them.

I would also be wary of putting such a large amount of data on a single
external drive.  Fortunately, NAS arrays such as the dns-323 are quite
reasonably priced these days - NCIX has it on sale for $120.  It runs
linux internally (bonus!) and can do a raid-1 between 2 SATA drives.

cheers!
--Raj.