Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to *start* computerizing several hundred CDs?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to *start* computerizing several hundred CDs?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:38:48 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> On 11-03-10 08:47 AM, Robert P. J. Day:
> >
> > ... asked about ripping many CDs.
> >

> I ripped my small collection of about 100 CD a few years back. I
> encoded everything into flac. I used the very excellent command line
> tool "abcde." It automagically pulled the CD information from the
> internet giving me a chance to edit the result before ripping.
>
> Whatever tool you use I learned two important lessons:
>
> 1) always check the CD info. I found lots of typos and questionable
> interpretations of track names.
>
> 2) most importantly: choose a good file/track naming scheme from the
> start. Include the Artist and Album in the filename. Many programs
> don't do this by default. It makes working with the files a pain
> later. (Of course, you can always pull header information to rename
> the tracks later.)
>
> abcde excels at naming files. It handles multi-artist compilation
> albums sanely by keeping the album together, instead of seperating
> it out by artist. abcde also has options for substituting special
> characters out of file names. (I also replace space with underscore
> because I am old fashioned like that.)

  ok, just to recap to make sure i'm not wasting my time, "abcde"
looks like it will do what i want.  as long as the music CD has no
weird properties or anomalies, i can just toss it in the drive, run

  $ abcde -o flac

watch long enough to see that the process starts properly, then walk
away and let it create a directory full of FLAC files for that album.

  a quick perusal shows that the individual FLAC files are, of course,
fairly sizable -- anywhere from 15M to 30M.  so conservatively
speaking, if i consider an album with 15 songs, that will take up at
most about 500M on the hard drive.  if i buy a 2TB drive, that would
give me room for about 4000 CDs.  does my math look sane?

  so for about $100, i can encode way more CDs than i actually have
and i can figure out what to do with them later.

  thoughts?  are there any other abcde options i might be interested
in?  and after i've encoded a bunch of CDs, i'll have to decide what
to do with them.  then i'll be back with more questions.

rday