Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to *start* computerizing several hundred CDs?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how to *start* computerizing several hundred CDs?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:09:59 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> On 11-03-10 08:47 AM, Robert P. J. Day:
> >
> > ... asked about ripping many CDs.
> >

> I ripped my small collection of about 100 CD a few years back. I
> encoded everything into flac. I used the very excellent command line
> tool "abcde." It automagically pulled the CD information from the
> internet giving me a chance to edit the result before ripping.

  i'd already found "abcde" and it seems to be doing everything i
want.  i dug around and found a "best of the box" CD, tossed it in and
just typed "abcde" and let it all default.  that choked since the
first track (labelled track 00 of all things) doesn't seem to be an
audio track, so since i wanted FLAC output, i went with:

  $ abcde -o flac 2-17

and away it went -- currently populating a directory of the name
"The_Box_-The_best_of_The_Box_(16_track_version)", which seems perfect
as there's no ambiguity there.  as long as subsequent CDs can be that
forthcoming about their content, i think i'm in good shape.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca