Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Can I have an nVidia and an AMD/ATI video card in the same machine running Linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Can I have an nVidia and an AMD/ATI video card in the same machine running Linux?
  • From: Bill Strosberg <oclug [ at ] strosberg [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:20:48 -0500
Charles Nadeau wrote:
All,

We are planning to build a machine to be used to develop programs for
statistic analysis with OpenCL. These programs will run on either nVidia or
AMD/ATI video card. In the development machine we would like to use both an
nVidia and an ATI/AMD video card to test the performance and compatibility
of our programs on both platforms.

Is it possible to have 2 cards from 2 different manufacturers in the same
box under Linux? Is it a known source of problem? I could find info on this
type of configuration under Windows but very little detailled info under
Linux.
Anybody has practical experience with this type of configuration to share?

Thanks!

Charles
I've had a bunch of machines over the years with multiple video cards present and functioning. If you have lots of time on your hands you could research card design specs to determine if there is any conflict for resources, memory mapping, bios location etc. I haven't got that kind of time, so I've just installed things and tried function. I've run into conflicts in some cases and have other cases work fine. Over the past ten or so years, things have gotten better about working and X is much happier to handle things without obscure configuration gymnastics.

It is my experience that just trying is faster than asking for help.

--
Bill