From: neil <neil [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca>
Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Problem
To: linux [ at ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca

Hi,

I've got a problem looking for a possible Linux solution.

I have had an internal Seagate 500 G hard drive (SATA) in my Windows XP
computer (less than 2 years), where my data is stored.

The OS has stopped recognizing it, but it still spins.  I found out that the
hard drive firmware (SD15)was faulty on these hard drives and eventually
they stop functioning properly.

My cousin suggested that I might be able to use Linux to read the data where
Windows cannot.  He has Linux, but is not familiar on how to try to retrieve
the data.

Is there some simple instructions or someone who can assist in this
recovery?

I was hoping to find out ASAP if this can be done, as I will have to look to
alternative solutions if it is not possible.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Neil (Blacher)

613-228-2277