Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Digest, Vol 72, Issue 10

On December 21, 2010 12:00:02 pm linux-request [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> First off, I couldn't read the original website but I am a Digital
> Forensics Investigator and have never done any DRM or DMCA stuff.
>
> There are plenty of jobs of in forensics that you will never have to do any
> copyright stuff, just my 2 cents.
>
> Andre
>

> ________________________________
> Andre Gregoire
> Electronic Evidence Investigator
> Competition Bureau
> andre [ dot ] gregoire [ at ] cb-bc [ dot ] gc [ dot ] ca
> Telephone 819-953-7081
> Government of Canada

Andre,

I understand peoples issues with gov't cyber bureaus.  In a lot of work I've
done in the past 5 years I've learned the term dual-use.  It is the sword with
two edges, it can cut the enemy and it can cut the user.  From my website you
might have noticed I'm an astronomy buff.  There are have been huge advances in
that field in recent years.  Two technologies have help significantly with
those; one is adaptive optics and the other is the artificial star.  Both of
these where and are military technologies.  I when to a conference at the
Chateau Laurier this September
http://antem.ee.umanitoba.ca/antem_amerem2010/Home.html
This was a dual conference half had military-ish applications the other
medical.  But essentially it is the same technology.  The same technologies
that are used to take lives are used to save lives.

I understand where Rick and Dan are coming from.   A certain amount of healthy
respect must be given to those dept. who's job is protecting the assets of a
country.   I understand that the same people I depend upon to keep information
and ideas on the Internet flowing are the same people that might be tempted to
constrain the same flow.

I think you understood the post for what it was.  Just letting those that are
interesting in the field of cyber forensics that this was happening and that I
thought it was cool.  OCLUG is full of very talented and intelligent members I
was sure someone them would find the challenge worthwhile?

--
DWW