Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux platform differences

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM, piper.guy1 <piper [ dot ] guy1 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
>>> Well, ethtool is a linux-specific tool to poke at network devices, so
>>> I actually would expect it to include linux/* headers directly.   I
>>> wouldn't hold much hope of compiling that on windows.
>>
>> I never said that I'm compiling under Windows. I'm compiling under
>> Cygwin. Again, ethtool source requires /usr/include/linux. How do I
>> get it?
>
> Cygwin is not Linux.  Cygwin implements a POSIX environment on a
> Windows kernel.  There is no Linux kernel to talk to, so there is no
> point of having linux header files.
>
> In other words: ethtool will not build on Windows.
>
> -Bart

I guess the best I can do is to comment out the ethtool stuff and
compile the app. I'm not interested in running the app.

As I said initially, I need to verify that the app source will compile
within Cygwin so that I can call the Cygwin gcc compiler from a batch
file for our static code checker which is only available in Windows. I
did this for a simpler app previously (using Code Sourcery Lite) and
it worked out. But this app requires some libs that are not available
with CS Lite (which is my reason for using Cygwin).

Thanks for your help. Some of it got through. I have a better understand now.

/carl h.