Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux platform differences

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
> On 10-10-27 11:19 AM, piper.guy1 wrote:
>> For instance<linux/ioctl.h>
>> was actually in<sys/ioctl.h>. There were several other header files
>> having the same problem.
>
> The correct answer is <sys/ioctl.h>
>
> I don't know where the other came from, but these header files have been
> in the sys sub-directory since the beginning of C.
>

> --
> Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
>   Shawn
>
> Programming is as much about organization and communication
> as it is about coding.
>
> The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.
>
> Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.

'/usr/include/linux' is pretty common. It's in my Ubuntu platform. It
includes a very comprehensive collection of header files and folders
of header files. So why does it appear sometimes and not others?

Is the app I'm installing (ethertool) which calls header files from
'/usr/include/linux' just simply a bad app that no app should be
doing?

Forgive me for persisting but I'm trying to understand this aspect
rather than just accepting it as 'that's just the way it is'.

thanx
/carl