Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Symmetric broadband provider

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 15:07 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:10:52PM -0400, Spencer Cheng wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for a broadband provider who can supply 10 Mbps
> > symmetric broadband in the west end of Ottawa
>
> storm.ca should be able to give you 10Mbit/s to 1GBit/s ethernet. The
> web page advertises $700 a month. The setup cost was less then I
> expected.
>
> Not cheap, but I would say that it is reasonable for the service.

My parents in Sweden lives in outside Jävre(pop 600) just south of
Piteå(pop 40000), a Ottawa equivalent would be something like outskirts
of North Gower or so. They (and there neighbours) have fibre to the farm
house and can subscribe to 100MBit up & down for 320sek/$45cad per
month! (yes, I have seriously considered colocate a server there)
And that is not some kind of exception, when I think about it I don't
know anyone in Sweden that doesn't at least have access to high speed
(>10MBit) internet. If you belong to the people who doesn't have a fibre
connection (I know none) you can still get up 60/20Mbit over ADSL if you
close enough to the CO (<500m, scales down to 2/.1MBit 7km away)

Here we are in the Capital of Canada and from what I understand it's
hard to get anything over 10/1 and it's very hard to get a symmetric
10MBit residential connection without moving to some specific places and
spend the money you got from selling the house on the monthly cost.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of project to install fibre
connection or some other really high speed technology for residential
use ?  Is it really so bad that we only have access to <10MBit/1Mbit
unless the internet cost exceed morgage payment on a big house (and even
then it seems hard).

--
Peter Sjoberg <peters-oclug [ at ] techwiz [ dot ] ca>