[OCLUG-Tech] project request of OCLUG: first year university welcome week package with bootable in linux usb key and other goodies on it

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] project request of OCLUG: first year university welcome week package with bootable in linux usb key and other goodies on it
  • From: Michael Goguen <michael [ dot ] goguen [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:36:01 -0400
Hi, my name is Michael Goguen.

I'm helping plan an alternative welcome week (called 101 week instead of
frosh, as hazing has technically been banned although some similar practices
still occur) that is meant to be open minded, non-oppressive, and inclusive
(non-gender /sexuality /race / nationality / disability / religious / nerd /
gamer etc biased -- possible environmentally friendly, sustainable,
fair-trade, organic, local, etc too if possible ;)  )
and I remember overhearing someone talk about there was some money /projects
for encouraging linux in various places, like schools.  I thought this would
be such an opportunity, and I would love to get some more people interested
in alternative computing practices as well...

The hope was that usb memory sticks, whether provided by oclug or the
standard 101 kit (the ones provided are generally 1gig) could be made
bootable in linux, possible set as an image with some multimedia and
informational etc including useful software, little explanations of what
these things are for and how to use them, possibly organized in an
intelligent way so new students can browse what they are interested in,
delete what they don't want, etc.  The hope was that oclug might create the
image and put these onto some usb key, but I think with some help or
guidance (perhaps looking at the recent talk given) I might be able to do
that myself.

michael dot goguen aat gmail dot com or reply on list I guess?

Michael Goguen