Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:10:26 -0500
From: "C.T. Paterson" <i [ dot ] adore [ dot ] my [ dot ] 64 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Running Linux 24/7 on Thumb Drive - Wear?
To: OCLUG Linux <linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca>

Hey folks,

I've been running linux on a thumbdrive for a few months now.  The
machine is on 24/7, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it
"busy" - it certainly has things to do throughout the day and night
(it's a PVR).  There have been a couple of incidents now, that have
made me question the integrity of the system - and I wonder about the
flash drive.

I know (or think I know) that flash can "wear out" if read/writes are
done to the same spot on the disk repeatedly - as might be done to
/tmp.  Does anyone think that might have happened over the course of
some months?  Is there anything that can be done to distribute the use
of the drive so the wear is even?

I have been (and will continue) googling about this - but I haven't
come up with much except tutorials of how to get started.

Thanks.