Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Intel 82573 NIC

Milan Budimirovic wrote:
: > : Has anyone else had trouble with this particular ethernet controller?
: >
: > Nothing obvious springs to mind, no.  Which revision of the controller are
: > you using?  There's at least E, V, and L.
: >
: >
: It has two controllers. One's an 82573L and the other's a 82573V

And they both misbehave the same way?  That's promising.

: It's a Tyan Toledo i3210W.
:
:   http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=591
:
: It's not a high-end board by Tyan standards, but still...

And which firmware revision?  It looks like they've had a few problematic
releases; might be worth updating to the latest one.

: > On a parting note, you're not the only one with 82573 problems in Ubuntu.
: > Which driver are you using?  I believe (and I could very well be wrong)
: > there are two different drivers in the tree that may work with the 82573:
: > e1000, and e1000e.  Additionally, which kernel are you using?  I'm assuming
: > 2.6.30 at this point?
:
: I'm using a 2.2.28 kernel and the e1000e drivers.
:
: The weird thing is that it's not a new controller. It's been on the
: market for four years now, and apparently it has worked in the past.

Which means it's likely either an issue with the specific revision of the
driver you're using, or your firmware (or both).  Especially if both
interfaces are misbehaving the same way.

When you say there's no network activity, can other nodes on the network
successfully perform ARP requests against the server in question, or do
those fail as well?