Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Recommendations for big external disk?

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:42:59PM -0400, Michael Walma wrote:

> I am in the market for a largish ( >= 1T ) external drive which plays
> nicely with linux.

All usb drives should work. I have used several and reformatted many
to ext3. I like the Vantec cases that take a standard SATA drive.

>  I am guessing it will be USB 2.0 but I wouldn't rule
> out network attached storage if the price/performance were attractive.

there is also eSATA if you have a free SATA port. Many drive
enclosures include a SATA/eSATA bracket and cable.

A dedicated small NAS box is nice, but expensive. You should be able
to build a cheaper and more usefull (and powerfull) Linux server from
off the shelf computer parts.

> If it is USB, I would likely reformat ext3 or similar.  I would be using
> it a the core file server for my home network, including my media
> library.

I would caution against using USB as the main harddrive in a file
server. In my experience USB does not fail well. For close to a year I
used an old laptop with a large USB drive as a file
server. Occationally the entire USB kernel subsystem would stop
responding forcing a reboot. I don't recall losing any data, but it
was annoying. I would use eSATA instead.

--
sg