got weirder...Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Kubuntu blocked update - should I worry?

  • Subject: got weirder...Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Kubuntu blocked update - should I worry?
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:15:08 -0400
HI gang:

Today I wanted to add whois to the system (did not know it was missing until I tried to use it) and got

cmacd@core2blk:~$ sudo apt-get install whois
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_partner_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
cmacd@core2blk:~$

should I rename the file listed - or is their some other funny command?

Using the package tool (kpackageKit) I get an error that the package cache is busted.

Will this clear up on its own, and is there any test I should do? Will this block any later updates?

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca              Just Beyond the Fringe