[OCLUG-Tech] Re: acceptable bourne shell function names

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: acceptable bourne shell function names
  • From: "Prof. John C Nash" <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:01:40 -0400
I've seen problems like this in R, where - is "minus". I wonder if there is
a script in the middle somewhere that is trying to subtract. You are
certainly losing something!

JN

Greetings,

I'm having an odd issue with my bash config. In it I'm defining functions like

git-dirstatus()
{
    do some work
}

Sourcing this in my .bashrc works fine in a shell, but if I source my .bashrc
from my .xsession file during X login, I get a login failure, with a complaint
about the function name in my .xsession-errors file.

If I use underscores instead of the dash

ie.
git_dirstatus()

then it works in both.

I've tried an .xsession with

#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/bash

neither seems to make a difference. I have no idea why this situation would be
different just on X login.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike