[OCLUG-Tech] System hangs on boot

Hello all,

My son's system is hanging partway through the boot process. He had PClinuxOS 2007 and did a funky process described here (http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=54418) but the gist of it is he used:

 apt-get clean
 apt-get autoclean
 apt-get update
 apt-get upgrade
 apt-get dist-upgrade

until all packages were current. Everything seemed to be working fine until he rebooted - then it wouldn't start X and dropped to CLI. I had him execute "video" to check that his graphics adapter and screen settings were correct - they were (he has an Intel 900 series). He later noticed that for some strange reason Xorg wasn't installed and he had to apt-get it manually. That seems to have gotten him further but now it hangs during boot with the following:

 determining kernel parameters
 starting udev............
 INIT runlevel 5

Somewhere along the way he also got a message like this:

 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 410: 431 killed /sbin/start_udev

Now he can't even get to a CLI. We've tried safe mode and fiddling with boot options. Option "init=3" causes a kernel panic, "acpi=off" and "single" still fail at udev, and "noudev" doesn't help either. He says he can't doesn't have an option to boot to the original kernel and the appropriate initrd*.img and vmlinuz* don't seem to be in /boot anyway - just the ones for the new kernel.

He has a dual-boot system and can still boot into Linux Mint if he needs to edit .conf files or whatever on the PClinuxOS partition.

Thoughts? I've run him through everything I can think of, and since he's across the continent I can't just sit down in front of it and hammer it out.

Thank you,
Lisa

message navigation