[OCLUG-Tech] How to find extended system information?

For some benchmarking tests I want to do, I'd like to be able to use command line tools to get the following information (not only for Linux -- my tests will be on Mac and PC too, but that will come later):

- OS version, by which I mean not just the "uname -a" stuff, but also whether I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 or Debian Lenny.
- Processor (uname seems to be a bit sketchy on this)
- RAM installed (Is free good enough? It needs interpretation. I'd like RAM available to the application I'm running.)
- possibly other stuff

It seems like some of this information is available, but I'd like to prepare a script that collects and organizes it. That way I might have a hope of getting equivalent information on other platforms.

Thanks,

JN