?

Nataliya Korovkina wrote:
: IFS="\n"
: for i in `cat List`
: do
: (IFS="\n" cmp $i $otherdir/$i)
: done
:
: "List" contains file names as they are:
: file 1
: file 2
: ...
: (without \, \\ and so on)
:
: Good luck!
:
: On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM, <alayne [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:
:
: > I have two directories which are mostly the same. I need to compare the
: > files in them (using cmp) to confirm this.
: >
: > Unfortunately, some of the files (which Other People created, not me) have
: > blanks in the filenames.
: >
: > I thought I could just go
: >
: > for i in `cat ListOfFiles`
: > do
: > cmp $i $OtherDirectory/$i
: > done
: >
: > but it fails on all files with blanks in them.
: >
: > If I edit ListOfFiles to put \ (or \\) before the blanks, that doesn't work
: > any better (although that worls on an ordinary command line. Neither does
: > putting "" around the filenames in the cmp.
: >
: > Does anyone have any better suggestions? I'm obviously missing something.
: >
: > --
: > Alayne McGregor
: > alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
: >
: > "In Canada we are developing a pattern of life and I know something about
: > one block of that pattern. I
: > know it for I helped to make it, and I can say that now without any
: > pretense of modesty, or danger of
: > arrogance, for I know that we who make the patterns are not important, but
: > the pattern is."
: > -- Nellie McClung, _The Stream Runs Fast_
: > Linux mailing list
: > Linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
: > http://oclug.on.ca/mailman/listinfo/linux
: >
: --