Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Can anyone save this drive?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:47:40PM -0400, C.T. Paterson wrote:

> 3. I have installed the drive into a external-USB case, and currently
> have it connected to my laptop.  A tail of the syslog reveals the
> following (more after the log)...

You could try the freezer trick. It is a faint hope method of getting
some data back.

take the drive out of the usb case.
put the drive in the freezer for 12 hours or more.
take the drive out of the freezer and put in a bag (to keep it from
     getting too much condensation.)
After 1 hour put the drive in the USB case and try to access it.
If it works suck as much data as you can until it breaks again.
If it doesn't work wait an hour and try again.

I recommend that you take the drive out of the freezer on a day when
you will be home and able to check the drive every hour or
so. Anecdotally it will be a few hours 4-6 of warming up before the
drive will work.

If the drive wasn't dead before you put it in the freezer it will be
now.

I have no idea why this works. I know of 3 cases of this working
including myself.

--
sg