Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

 On Mon 08/10/27 23:59, "Howard Eisenberger" howarde [ at ] gmx [ dot ] net wrote:
> I'm on NCF/Teksavvy. Sometime last week I started experiencing
> timeouts while browsing. Pinging the remote host from my router would stall or
> slow with up to 80% packet loss. Sometime I just waited, sometime I
> rebooted the router, and ocasionally rebooted the DSL "modem".
>
> A number of NCF DSL users, incuding a neighbour, reported that they
> were down completely one day last week. I'm on Preston St. near Carling
> (K1Y,613-236-)

I took a closer look, and found that the problems actually started on Wednesday.  I'm so glad I finally got cacti up and running, now I just need it to start graphing retransmits and errors as well...

I know that TS has been undergoing fairly substantial upgrades, that has resulted in periodic (and sometimes sustained) outages.  This may or may not be the cause of that one day.

> The remote host (first hop) can be 206.248.154.101 or 102, 103, 105,
> or 120, which it is right now. It seems to have cleared up for the most
> part over the weekend, although with all the rain Saturday my connection was
>  extremely slow (not much better than dialup) with many many CRC errors
> (an urelated problem?).

Right now, I'm actually suspecting that the backhaul from Ottawa into Toronto -- where Bell hands off to TekSavvy -- is overloaded.  I'm not 100% confident this is the case, but it's the most plausible solution I've come across.  Too bad your problem seems to have cleared up, as mine's ongoing.

On what layer were you seeing CRC errors?  Were they showing up on the modem, on your gateway, on the client machines...?

> > However, when connected using Bell's test account,
> > I'm seeing zero packet
> > loss (and, unsurprisingly, slightly better latency).
>
> How does one get one of those?

I'm not sure how kosher it is for me to be passing this out, but then again, Bell never warned me against it when they gave it to me...

username: test@test
password: test

Like I indicated, you'll wind up somewhere on 10/8.  I've never bothered poking around to see what all is on the network; I usually just hit the gateway for ping tests to find out if it's my DSL line, or if it's something else.  And you don't need to do anything special to use this stuff, you can just change your current DSL authentication information to get going.  NB: I doubt you'll have access to the Internet with this.