Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:44:41PM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:

> Out of curiousity, is anyone experiencing any newfound troubles with
> their DSL lines as of last Sunday-Monday timeframe?  I'm trying to
> track down a sudden problem with my connection, and there's enough
> going on that makes me think it's not a straightforward DSL problem.
> Specifically, if any TekSavvy customers in the Ottawa area can pitch
> in about the quality of their line, I'd appreciate it.
>
> In the interest of full disclosure, I'm seeing between 30% and 50%
> packet loss through my connection, when running tests against my next
> hop.

I'm on NCF/Teksavvy. Sometime last week I started experiencing timeouts
while browsing. Pinging the remote host from my router would stall or
slow with up to 80% packet loss. Sometime I just waited, sometime I
rebooted the router, and ocasionally rebooted the DSL "modem".

A number of NCF DSL users, incuding a neighbour, reported that they were
down completely one day last week. I'm on Preston St. near Carling (K1Y,
613-236-)

The remote host (first hop) can be 206.248.154.101 or 102, 103, 105, or
120, which it is right now. It seems to have cleared up for the most part
over the weekend, although with all the rain Saturday my connection was
extremely slow (not much better than dialup) with many many CRC errors
(an urelated problem?).

> However, when connected using Bell's test account, I'm seeing zero packet
> loss (and, unsurprisingly, slightly better latency).

How does one get one of those?

Howard E.