Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Debian help

On Fri, October 24, 2008 10:07 am, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> Let's start with this:
>

> what does your /etc/apt/sources.list look like?

I replaced:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

with:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

> what does c say?

3.1

> what was the release of Debian that was originally installed on this
> system?

It showed 3.1 when I first logged in.

> I am guessing that you have 'stable' or 'testing' in your sources.list
> -- as opposed to potato/sarge/etch -- but have not upgraded any packages
> in years.
>
> -Bart
>

> * James <bjlockie [ at ] lockie [ dot ] ca> [081024 10:03]:
>
>> I am trying to upgrade an old system that is broken. :-(
>>

>> I get stuff like this for lots of packages:
>> dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `readline-common'
>> missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
>>
>> apt-get is broken and I installed
>>
>> gnupg_1.4.6-2_i386.deb with dpkg.
>>
>> Could not execute '/usr/bin/gpgv' to verify signature (is gnupg
>> installed?)
>>
>> I have:
>> /usr/bin/gpg  /usr/bin/gpg-convert-from-106  /usr/bin/gpg-zip
>> /usr/bin/gpgsplit
>>

>> but no /usr/bin/gpgv

It said "W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org stable Release: Could not
execute '/usr/bin/gpgv' to verify signature (is gnupg installed?)".

grrr, I had to install the package gpgv not gnupg