Re: [OCLUG-Tech] netbook

Bruce Harding wrote:
I like want Trovals has to say about the new Intel SSD. For me one of the bestest drawback of SSD has been that it can not read and write to the same file. If you save a file it makes a copy of the file you are working on then deletes the old one.

Not entirely true.

There's no way the SSD could understand a "file". In order to do that, it would need to understand every single file system currently existing, and that will exist -- or only support 'approved' filesystems.

That being said, it's entirely possible that it does this on a sector-by-sector basis, and not a file-by-file basis. But all this is moot, because I this is how modern filesystems work, anyhow; especially those that do journalling: each modification to a file causes data to be written to free blocks, and then the inode for the file in question is updated to point to those new blocks.

  - Damian