Re: [OCLUG-Tech] netbook

Bart Trojanowski wrote:
* Raj <thukral [ at ] pobox [ dot ] com> [081020 13:45]:
I was under the (mistaken?) impression that SSDs draw less power than a regular HDD - one would think the motor and head drive alone would push up the power consumption way beyond an SSD.

I was too, until I did some research and read a few reviews.  Apparently
the currently available drives don't live upto the theoretical
possibilities of this tech.

interesting.  Got any links I can check out?

The downside on (flash) SSDs is that they have a limited number of write cycles, but they're getting cheaper by the day, so its probably not a big expense to replace when it does die (We all do regular backups, right!?) and the advantage of being way more shock-resistant is definitely appealing to the clutz in me!

The ones that are in netbooks are probably not upgradable -- i.e. they
are soldered onto the mainboard.

At least on the Acer Aspire One, the SSD uses a ZIF (or LIF as some manufacturers call it) and there are replacements available. ZIF/LIF seems to be evolving as some kind of an industry standard for SSDs.

--Raj.

-Bart