Re: [OCLUG-Tech] netbook

James,

> I just need something cheap and portable for web browsing and email.

For this usecase it's probably ok.  I find typing on a small keyboard
tough -- fat fingers :) I would suggest you try something that size
before you commit, or don't expect to do a lot of typing on it.

> Are there any other distributions that are good for SSD?

Currently, SSD shows up at a SCSI drive on Linux.  If you have a recent
kernel there should be no difference.

> Is it a bad idea to buy SSDs drives?

While SSDs are smaller and quieter, they can be slower and can draw more
power than spinning platter HDDs...  except for under some benchmarks.

In a few years, when the new Intel tech is mainstream and cheap, things
will change.  Linus recently got a sample from Intel that he got really
excited about.

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2008/10/so-i-got-one-of-new-intel-ssds.html

-Bart

--