[OCLUG-Tech] passwordless ssh access to just one directory tree / auto close of app

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] passwordless ssh access to just one directory tree / auto close of app
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:53:54 -0400
I'm working gradually toward a fairly nice setup to use a laptop to play music for dancing. The current setup is debian + kde. I make the machine come up without login to a konqueror screen listing the dance mp3s and instructions (plain txt), and have set the font quite large. No mouse or touchpad needed, just up and down arrows and enter.

Two questions:

1) For updating the collection, I'd like to rsync with a directory (and any subdirs) on a server, but want the "music machine" to only have access to the single directory, which I don't really want under a separate user on the server, since the files are part of a larger collection and files migrate in and out as we test them out for use. Is there a way to have an ssh key so only the one directory is accessible.

2) We've noted some folk don't close the player or text viewer and when memory gets low the sound stops! I'm thinking I should use a script to close any existing players or text windows when a new one starts, but am not sure how to do this cleanly.

Ideas welcome. Note that this is an ongoing exercise and not a "right now" problem.

JN