Re: [OCLUG-Tech] KOrganizer

On Thursday 01 May 2008 09:10:25 Bruce Harding wrote:

Ive done some work on this to find out what going on. Ive created a resource
in KOrganzer for personal and "Testing" just to have a test source. So far I
know the following.

1. creating an appointment creates a file similar too (2 appointments)
libkcal-1170292698.368
libkcal-373861314.849

There seems to be no logic behind the naming convention, or none that I can
see or recognize as .849 was created prior to .368

2. The file itself has all the pertinent data though as its a standard Vcal
file format.
example:
-----------------------------
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML libkcal 3.5//EN
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20080503T144113Z
ORGANIZER;CN=Chris H:MAILTO:chris123 [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca
CREATED:20080503T144111Z
UID:libkcal-1170292698.368
LAST-MODIFIED:20080503T144111Z
SUMMARY:Test Appointment
LOCATION:Ottawa
DTSTART:20080503T174500Z
DTEND:20080503T183000Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:DISPLAY
TRIGGER;VALUE=DURATION:-PT15M
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR
----------------------------------eof--------

Since its a standardize format all the necessary info is present:
creator
creator email address
location
summary
start date & time (even though I dint understand the notation)
end date & time
alarm
alarm duration

So it should be possible to write a script that parses this file and extracts
the necessary data to a designated output.

Now if this script was pointed to a directory that stores all the vcal files
it could walk the directory listing, parse the files to extract the data and
alarm value and email the data to any assigned email address for example my
cell phone. A long time ago the free version of Star Office which had its own
calendar had this feature and it was fantastic.

This script could be run as a cron job or alternatively KOrganizer does
provide a facility for this (that I have not been able to get working) under
KOrganizer New Event dialog>Reminder>Advanced. Here I find the option to
select a program rather then pop up and the fields programs file & program
arguments.

So I was wondering as I don't have extensive scripting experience nor a
programmer has anyone played with this concept or idea. Secondly, in terms of
overview is the analysis correct and can it be done?

regards

--
/ch