Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Setting up a mail server questions!

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Jila Zakizadeh wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. My goal is to store all the mails locally on
> the machine that I can have access the emails anytime via pop.

Like the other poster, I recommend postfix. It is relatively easy to use.
postfix.org is a good site to start at for more info, on top of what
debian provides. I have been using it for up to 20 hosted email domains
for years, millions of messages, and it works well. Condigured with
SpamAssassin, black hole rules, and especially greylisting you will
eliminate the vast majority of spam.

Depending on your requirements, you might want to consider IMAP instead of
POP, and leaving the mail centralized on the server, where it can be
easily backed up. The other poster mentioned dovecot for an IMAP server. I
have used it for years too and it is simpler and works reliably.

Brett