Re: [OCLUG-Tech] partitioning problems

Short answer: install the Ubuntu package ntfsprogs and use the
application ntfsresize

A little more detail:
In this context, "volume" is equivalent to "block device" in
Linux-speak. In the context of a hard disk, that means
partition.

If I ever knew the technical reasons why, I have long since
forgotten it, but it is in the nature of NTFS to spread data
across the entire partition. Defragmenters do not usually touch
this spread. They merely consolidate all files into contiguous
blocks.

The manpage for ntfsresize claims that defragging is not
necessary. Mistrustful soul that I am, I do it anyway. There is
one commercial Windows defragger that _*does_* move everything
to the beginning of the disk. It is PerfectDisk and is available
from www.raxco.com. BTW, this product generally comes first in
reviews of Windows defraggers. No need to buy; there is a 30-day
trial which is fully functional, just time-limited.

Again, it goes without saying that any time you play with
partitions and with partition boundaries, your data is at risk.
Make sure that any data on the partition is adequately backed
up. If you are just starting at a new job, this might not yet be
an issue.

I believe that ntfsresize is on the Ubuntu install disk. Try
Ctl-Alt-F2 for a root shell.

Any of the standard Linux partition utilities should show your
disk layout, and if there is any unused space. The "missing"
20GB might be "hidden partitions" containing Windows disk images
and manufacturers' utilities images. Large manufacturers
typically save themselves pennies by putting images on the HD
rather than providing media to the purchaser. A decent
ncurses-based partition utility is cfdisk; but there is nothing
wrong with gparted on the Ubuntu installer.

Hope this helps.