Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Perl, PHP // Asus Eee for blind users.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Perl, PHP // Asus Eee for blind users.
  • From: rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net (Richard Guy Briggs)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:33:46 -0500
On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:20:53PM -0500, nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca wrote:
> > From: darcy [ dot ] bulk [ at ] siteware [ dot ] com
> > Are there many PHP programmers in this group? How about Perl? What about
> > facebook developers?
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only Perl and PHP programmer (part-time, and to make
> things work that I need in my other activities).
>
> Greetings to all from Perth, WA. Here in Oz I've seen several Asus Eees,
> the latest with a research associate here who is blind. One of her
> associates has also got an Eee but has installed XP so he can run Jaws (I
> don't know this, but it is a vocalization software).

Mmmm, Perth...  I was there in October...

> Does anyone know of good Linux vocalization software to aid vision
> impaired? My guess is the Eee will run better under Linux, given less
> antivirus nonsense etc..

Festival comes to mind...  Johns Hopkins University connection there
somewhere...  Ex-OCLUGger David Huggins-Danes has been implicated (he's
in Pittsburgh).

> Cheers, JN
>
> PS Interestingly, I couldn't find a single retailer for the Eee in Phoenix
> Az. Available from Amazon by mail order, but ...

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!