Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dvd burner to buy

Dan Langille wrote:

> When buying media, I always buy brand name,

Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the only consistently tier-1 brand names. Maxell and Imation in particular have been well noted for relabeling shoddy product.

>  >  and I check the speed
that they are rated for. And after burning something important, I always make sure that all the files on the burnt cd or DVD can be read (by copying the dvd to a temporary folder, as a test).

I think a better test is a diff.

The only difference between a diff and a read-back will be when the drive error-corrects to the wrong value. That's possible, but much less likely than it reporting to the wrong value.

Most burning programs (k3b, etc.) will do a verify after burn, so that's a lot easier than mounting and doing a diff.

The best test is to do the verify using a different drive. Whether that's a read-back or a diff doesn't matter as much.

Bryan