[OCLUG-Tech] dvd burner to buy

I bought a $30.00 Sony burner 2 months ago.  It's still the same price.  In this city, I can just walk in, ask for it, and pick it up at the counter.  I'd buy 20 more if I had a reason to.  I think I'll buy another one this week.  I got it at OEMEXPRESS.COM

  http://www.oemexpress.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=OPTSON%2DAWQ170A&eq=

  It can also burn dual layer dvds.   The specs say this about the dvd burning rate: 18X (DVD+/-).  It burns cd-r at 48x

  And yes, it's worked under Ubuntu Gutsy, and Hardy.     I always burn NOT AT TOP SPEED, regardless of whether I'm using windoze or linux.

  When buying media, I always buy brand name, and I check the speed that they are rated for.  And after burning something important, I always make sure that all the files on the burnt cd or DVD can be read (by copying the dvd to a temporary folder, as a test).

  Sony DVDRW AWQ170A-10 18x DL BEIGE