[OCLUG-Tech] Rescuing a harddrive -- weired messages ??

Hi;

I am trying to rescue a friend's hard disk.  It seems dead to me but I
thought I might ask here for anything left to try.

Problem:
      * His Maxtor 40GB SCSI disk worked up until recently;
      * It was dual boot into WindowsXP and Ubuntu Gutsey;
      * He was using 'parted' while in Ubuntu to extend (enlarge) the
        WindowsXP partition when suddenly it burped without finishing
        and would not restart;

Attempted solutions:
      * swapped in and out of two machines as both master and slave;
      * BIOS on both machines identifies the make and size of the disk
        correctly as both master or slave;
      * used rescue disk ==> parted and fdisk;
      * parted returns "unable to open /dev/sdb -- unrecognized disk
        label"
      * fdisk returns "unable to read /dev/sdb"
      * Tried fdisk /mbr from my Windows - Dos partition.  It returned
        "Can't write mbr" or some such error message.
      * At this point, I would like to be able to boot either Ubuntu or
        WindowsXP

He would like to rescue his data and/or disk and I would like to help
him.  (This is a pre-owned machine which had WindowsXP included but no
re-installation disk.)

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips or help welcomed.

--
Regards Bill